The 48th Academy Awards (1976) Nominees and Winners
Held at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on Monday, March 29, 1976,
honoring movies released in 1975.
Best Picture winners Michael Douglas and Saul Zaentz flank Best Director Milos Foreman, Best Actress Louise Fletcher and Best Actor Jack Nicholson ("One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest").
- Walter Matthau in "The Sunshine Boys"
- Jack Nicholson in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
- Al Pacino in "Dog Day Afternoon"
- Maximilian Schell in "The Man in the Glass Booth"
- James Whitmore in "Give 'em Hell, Harry!"
Actor in a Supporting Role
- George Burns in "The Sunshine Boys"
- Brad Dourif in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
- Burgess Meredith in "The Day of the Locust"
- Chris Sarandon in "Dog Day Afternoon"
- Jack Warden in "Shampoo"
- Isabelle Adjani in "The Story of Adele H."
- Ann-Margret in "Tommy"
- Louise Fletcher in "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
- Glenda Jackson in "Hedda"
- Carol Kane in "Hester Street"
Actress in a Supporting Role
- Ronee Blakley in "Nashville"
- Lee Grant in "Shampoo"
- Sylvia Miles in "Farewell, My Lovely"
- Lily Tomlin in "Nashville"
- Brenda Vaccaro in "Jacqueline Susann's Once Is Not Enough"
- "Barry Lyndon" Art Direction: Ken Adam, Roy Walker; Set Decoration: Vernon Dixon
- "The Hindenburg" Art Direction: Edward Carfagno; Set Decoration: Frank McKelvy
- "The Man Who Would Be King" Art Direction: Alexander Trauner, Tony Inglis; Set Decoration: Peter James
- "Shampoo" Art Direction: Richard Sylbert, W. Stewart Campbell; Set Decoration: George Gaines
- "The Sunshine Boys" Art Direction: Albert Brenner; Set Decoration: Marvin March
- "Barry Lyndon" John Alcott
- "The Day of the Locust" Conrad Hall
- "Funny Lady" James Wong Howe
- "The Hindenburg" Robert Surtees
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Haskell Wexler, Bill Butler
- "Barry Lyndon" Ulla-Britt Soderlund, Milena Canonero
- "The Four Musketeers" Yvonne Blake, Ron Talsky
- "Funny Lady" Ray Aghayan, Bob Mackie
- "The Magic Flute" Henny Noremark, Karin Erskine
- "The Man Who Would Be King" Edith Head
- "Amarcord" Federico Fellini
- "Barry Lyndon" Stanley Kubrick
- "Dog Day Afternoon" Sidney Lumet
- "Nashville" Robert Altman
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Milos Forman
- "The California Reich" Walter F. Parkes and Keith F. Critchlow, Producers
- "Fighting for Our Lives" Glen Pearcy, Producer
- "The Incredible Machine" Irwin Rosten, Producer
- "The Man Who Skied down Everest" F. R. Crawley, James Hager and Dale Hartleben, Producers
- "The Other Half of the Sky: A China Memoir" Shirley MacLaine, Producer
Documentary (Short Subject)
- "Arthur and Lillie" Jon Else, Steven Kovacs and Kristine Samuelson, Producers
- "The End of the Game" Claire Wilbur and Robin Lehman, Producers
- "Millions of Years Ahead of Man" Manfred Baier, Producer
- "Probes in Space" George V. Casey, Producer
- "Whistling Smith" Barrie Howells and Michael Scott, Producers
- "Dog Day Afternoon" Dede Allen
- "Jaws" Verna Fields
- "The Man Who Would Be King" Russell Lloyd
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Richard Chew, Lynzee Klingman, Sheldon Kahn
- "Three Days of the Condor" Fredric Steinkamp, Don Guidice
Foreign Language Film
- "Dersu Uzala" Union of Soviet Socialist Republics
- "Land of Promise" Poland
- "Letters from Marusia" Mexico
- "Sandakan No. 8" Japan
- "Scent of a Woman" Italy
Music (Original Score)
- "Birds Do It, Bees Do It" Gerald Fried
- "Bite the Bullet" Alex North
- "Jaws" John Williams
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Jack Nitzsche
- "The Wind and the Lion" Jerry Goldsmith
Music (Scoring: Original Song Score and Adaptation -or- Scoring: Adaptation)
- "Barry Lyndon" Adaptation Score by Leonard Rosenman
- "Funny Lady" Adaptation Score by Peter Matz
- "Tommy" Adaptation Score by Peter Townshend
Music (Original Song)
- "How Lucky Can You Get" from "Funny Lady" Music and Lyrics by Fred Ebb and John Kander
- "I'm Easy" from "Nashville" Music and Lyrics by Keith Carradine
- "Now That We're in Love" from "Whiffs" Music by George Barrie; Lyrics by Sammy Cahn
- "Richard's Window" from "The Other Side of the Mountain" Music by Charles Fox; Lyrics by Norman Gimbel
- "Theme from Mahogany (Do You Know Where You're Going To)" from "Mahogany" Music by Michael Masser; Lyrics by Gerry Goffin
- "Barry Lyndon" Stanley Kubrick, Producer
- "Dog Day Afternoon" Martin Bregman and Martin Elfand, Producers
- "Jaws" Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown, Producers
- "Nashville" Robert Altman, Producer
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Saul Zaentz and Michael Douglas, Producers
Short Film (Animated)
- "Great" Bob Godfrey, Producer
- "Kick Me" Robert Swarthe, Producer
- "Monsieur Pointu" René Jodoin, Bernard Longpré and André Leduc, Producers
- "Sisyphus" Marcell Jankovics, Producer
Short Film (Live Action)
- "Angel and Big Joe" Bert Salzman, Producer
- "Conquest of Light" Louis Marcus, Producer
- "Dawn Flight" Lawrence M. Lansburgh and Brian Lansburgh, Producers
- "A Day in the Life of Bonnie Consolo" Barry Spinello, Producer
- "Doubletalk" Alan Beattie, Producer
- "Bite the Bullet" Arthur Piantadosi, Les Fresholtz, Richard Tyler, Al Overton, Jr.
- "Funny Lady" Richard Portman, Don MacDougall, Curly Thirlwell, Jack Solomon
- "The Hindenburg" Leonard Peterson, John A. Bolger, Jr., John Mack, Don K. Sharpless
- "Jaws" Robert L. Hoyt, Roger Heman, Earl Madery, John Carter
- "The Wind and the Lion" Harry W. Tetrick, Aaron Rochin, William McCaughey, Roy Charman
Writing (Original Screenplay)
- "Amarcord" Federico Fellini, Tonino Guerra
- "And Now My Love" Claude Lelouch, Pierre Uytterhoeven
- "Dog Day Afternoon" Frank Pierson
- "Lies My Father Told Me" Ted Allan
- "Shampoo" Robert Towne, Warren Beatty
Writing (Screenplay Adapted from Other Material)
- "Barry Lyndon" Stanley Kubrick
- "The Man Who Would Be King" John Huston, Gladys Hill
- "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" Lawrence Hauben, Bo Goldman
- "Scent of a Woman" Ruggero Maccari, Dino Risi
- "The Sunshine Boys" Neil Simon
- Star indicates a win.