2016 Careers in Film Summit
The Academy Gold Talent Development and Inclusion Program is a multi-tiered educational and experiential initiative designed to enhance and extend an industry-wide diversity internship program under the Academy brand. The initiative will afford top film entertainment, technology, production services and digital media companies an all-inclusive pass to recruit and educate a nationwide pool of diverse talent. The program will offer interns exclusive access to Academy members, industry professionals, screenings, and educational workshops offering an inclusive industry networking experience.
WHY ACADEMY GOLD?
The Academy offers unprecedented and exclusive access to industry professionals through it’s more than 7,000 members. Known for its “best in class” industry screenings, tours, educational workshops, roundtables and events, the Academy will afford aspiring film and entertainment students the ability to interact and learn from the best. This initiative will ultimately cement, strengthen and clarify long-standing, but independent efforts to address concerns of accessibility and opportunity for under-represented communities throughout our country.
LAUNCH - SPRING, 2017
The Academy Gold Talent Development and Inclusion Initiative will work in conjunction with various studios, industry suppliers, key organizations, etc., to create a differentiated eight (8) week summer educational and networking experience as the first part of a multi-tiered program.
Each participating organization will commit to sponsoring at least two (2) interns with an Academy initiative goal of reaching up to fifty (50) internships for 2017 (including local and out-of-state colleges and universities). We are encouraging organizations to help support the program with philanthropic contributions. The donations would help to fund the program’s educational and internal resource costs.
The internships would be available to undergraduate and graduate college students with an emphasis on high quality, under-represented talent in order to help them acquire the knowledge, skills and connections to achieve success as they navigate above-the-line and below-the-line, full-time, entertainment industry careers.
- Careers in Film Summit (CiFS): Students will have access in person and on-line to the Academy’s CiFS, a one-day crash course on filmmaking professions (including production, distribution, marketing, development, above- and below-the-line), with diverse filmmaker panelists offering explanations of their jobs and how to successfully prepare for and enter the film business.
- Master Classes: Access to programs in Academy facilities that provides a robust curriculum of industry topics targeted to all levels, leveraging the expertise of Academy members and partners.
- Networking with Industry Professionals: Hosted Academy screenings and panels with industry professionals with Q&A and networking opportunities.
- Supplemental Recruitment and Placement: The Academy will seek high quality candidates via HBCU’s, other minority serving institutions, Hollywood CPR, Streetlights, etc., to complement current recruiting efforts, vetted both by the Academy and your internal channels.
- Intern Outreach: Ability to invite non-Academy interns from participating organizations to join the screenings, tours and educational classes hosted by the Academy.
- Graduation: Opportunities for participating interns to “graduate” from the internship program and participate in the Talent Development and Inclusion Program via “Phase Two Mentorship” and “Phase Three Fellowship” programs currently offered through the Academy.
- Alumni Network: Keeping the summer experience going, we will create an online tracking network (via LinkedIn) to nurture and build a networking portal for eventual job placement post-graduation.
- Student Academy Awards and Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting: Qualifying students will be encouraged to participate in the Academy’s other talent development initiatives.
• The application deadline is May 12, 2017
• Internship hours are part-time (up to 28 hours per week and may vary based on project)
• Work will be project-driven, hands-on while providing you with more knowledge about and access to the motion picture industry.
• The summer internship program also includes educational brown bag lunches, studio tours and other growth oriented and fun activities related to student development and film.
Academy summer internship applicants must meet the following criteria:
• Have an overall 3.0 grade point average;
• Exhibit an interest in the motion picture industry;
• Have strong written, verbal and problem-solving skills
Thank you for your participation in this valuable program and your commitment towards creating a path of career advancement and opportunity for aspiring young talent within our industry. As part of your commitment to this program, we have provided some information that will prove helpful as we embark on this partnership together.
For employers interested in participating in the Academy Gold Program, contact us here
For students interested in applying for an internship, click here