Since 1980, the Academy has provided a series of filmmaking seminars focused on various aspects of the industry including production design, music, acting, editing, cinematography, casting, producing, animation, visual effects, costume design, makeup, writing and documentary filmmaking.
The seminars feature members of the Academy whose accomplishments represent the highest level of work in their respective branches.
- EVOLUTION or REVOLUTION? Production Design in the 21st Century, a four-part seminar held April–May 2011.
- Perspectives on Editing, a four-part seminar held September–October 2009.
- Makeup Artists and Hairstylists: A Forum on Contemporary Technique, a three-part seminar held October 2008.
- The Music Soundtrack: A Composers’ Forum of Contemporary Scoring Technique, a three-part seminar held September –October 2007.
- Cutting to the Chase: The Continuing Evolution of Motion Picture Editing, a four-part seminar held September–October 2005.
- Character Comes First: Costume Design in the 21st Century, a four-part seminar held September–October 2004.
- Production Design: Concept to Construction, a four-part seminar held April–May 2004.
- Producers on Producing, a four-session seminar held October–November 2002.
- The State of the Visual Effects Arts, a four-session seminar held April–May 2002.
- Theatrical Documentaries in the Digital Age, a four-part seminar held October 2001.
- Architects of Dreams: Writers on Writing, a four-part seminar held August 2001.
- Red Light/Green Light: Notes from the Executive Boardroom, a four-part seminar held November–December 2000.