AN ACADEMY SEMINAR SERIES
EVOLUTION or REVOLUTION? Production Design in the 21st Century
Moderated by Academy Art Directors Branch governors Jim Bissell (production designer, "300," "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind") and Rosemary Brandenburg (set decorator, "Unstoppable," "Public Enemies").
This seminar series will offer four diverse evenings on the subject of production design and set decoration from the perspective of the designers and decorators themselves. Each session will feature film clips and open discussion between the audience and the presenters.
Check back for the latest updates on panelists. Guests are always subject to availability.
Monday, April 25
THE CONVERGENCE OF PRODUCTION DESIGN IN LIVE ACTION AND ANIMATION
Designers from animation and live action compare their responsibilities, as well as the creative and executive pipelines through which they navigate their work.
- Kathy Altieri, production designer ("How to Train Your Dragon," "Over the Hedge")
- Scott Chambliss, production designer ("Salt," "Star Trek")
- Harley Jessup, production designer ("Ratatouille," "Monsters, Inc.")
- Karen O’Hara, set decorator ("Alice in Wonderland," "Disney’s A Christmas Carol")
Monday, May 2
MEMORABLE IMAGES: PRODUCTION DESIGNERS AND SET DECORATORS CHOOSE THEIR FAVORITES
Production designers can create powerful images that embed themselves into the collective cultural consciousness. The panel will give examples of those unforgettable instances when dramatic design emerges from a support role to the forefront of the storytelling process.
- William Creber, production designer ("The Poseidon Adventure," 1972; "Planet of the Apes," 1968)
- Lilly Kilvert, production designer ("Valkyrie," "Legends of the Fall")
- Alex McDowell, production designer ("Watchmen," "Fight Club")
- Beth Rubino, set decorator ("It’s Complicated," "American Gangster")
Monday, May 9
SET DECORATION AND THE DESIGN COLLABORATION
Production designers and set decorators discuss their collaborative process.
- Jim Bissell, production designer, and Jan Pascale, set decorator ("Leatherheads," "Good Night, and Good Luck.")
- Lauri Gaffin, set decorator ("Iron Man," The Pursuit of Happyness")
- Alex McDowell, production designer, and Anne Kuljian, set decorator ("The Terminal," "Minority Report")
- Jeannine Oppewall, production designer, and Leslie Pope, set decorator ("Seabiscuit," "Catch Me If You Can")
Monday, May 16
THE CRITERIA FOR GOOD PRODUCTION DESIGN
Production designers and set decorators discuss what they look for in their peers’ work as hallmarks of great creative design.
- Jim Erickson, set decorator ("Watchmen," "There Will Be Blood")
- Lilly Kilvert, production designer ("Valkyrie," "The Crucible")
- Alex McDowell, production designer ("Watchmen," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory")
- Jeannine Oppewall, production designer ("The Good Shepherd," "Seabiscuit")
- Victor J. Zolfo, set decorator ("The Social Network," "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button")
- Mondays, April 25 and May 2, 9 and 16
7 – 10 p.m.
- Linwood Dunn Theater
1313 Vine Street
Hollywood, California 90028