Rule Seventeen: Special Rules for the Production Design Award
- A Reminder List of all eligible motion pictures shall be made available along with a nominations ballot to all members of the Designers Branch except costume designers, who shall vote in the order of their preference for not more than five motion pictures.
- The five motion pictures receiving the highest number of votes shall become the nominations for final voting for the Production Design award.
- Prior to the mailing of nominations ballots, a meeting of the Designers Branch shall be held to rule on the eligibility of all productions for Awards consideration. Eligibility for this award shall be limited to the production designer and set decorator primarily responsible for the design of the production and the execution of that concept, as verified by the producer. The Designers Branch shall have the discretion to give more weight to design than to execution. Any submission requesting award eligibility for more than one production designer or more than one set decorator, owing to extraordinary circumstances, must be accompanied by a letter of justification submitted by the producer to the Academy no later than 5 p.m. PT on November 30, 2012. These circumstances will be reviewed at a special meeting of the Designers Branch; however, in no case will more than one additional award be considered. An art director may be considered eligible for this award only when there is no production designer credited.
- Final voting for the Production Design award shall be restricted to active and life Academy members.
- Recognition in the form of the Academy statuette shall be given for the set decoration of the production receiving an award for achievement in production design.