The Academy's headquarters are at 8949 Wilshire Boulevard in Beverly Hills, between Lapeer and Almont drives.
Los Angeles architect Maxwell Starkman (1921–2004) designed the seven-story building. Other notable Starkman works include the Museum of Tolerance and the Filmland Corporate Center in Culver City (now called Sony Pictures Plaza).
Groundbreaking for the Academy's new headquarters took place in September 1973; the building was officially dedicated on December 8, 1975. A series of grand opening parties were held, with Academy members, press, civic leaders and others attending, and a special screening in the Samuel Goldwyn Theater of clips from all the past Academy Award-winning Best Pictures.
Today, the building's 1,012-seat, state-of-the-art Samuel Goldwyn Theater is busy year-round with the Academy's public programming, members-only screenings, movie premieres and other special activities (including the live television broadcast of the Academy Awards nominations announcement every January).
The building also houses a 67-seat screening room, a grand lobby which is used for exhibitions and events as well as many departments including membership, communications, awards coordination, theater operations, the box office, executive offices and other functions.
The Academy Board of Governors holds the majority of its meetings in the building, as do most of the numerous committees and sub-committees that oversee the Academy's activities and interests.