Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study
The Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study is the home of the Margaret Herrick Library and its world-renowned collection of motion picture-related materials.
The Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study, at the corner of La Cienega and Olympic boulevards in Beverly Hills, is a restored, refurbished and expanded Spanish-Romanesque building that originally housed the City of Beverly Hills Water Treatment Plant No. 1. Built in 1927, the building was abandoned in 1976 when Beverly Hills began to purchase its water from the Los Angeles Metropolitan Water District.
In March of 1988, the City of Beverly Hills accepted a proposal by the Academy that the Waterworks be restored to house the Library and the Academy Film Archive. Work on the 40,000 square-foot building was completed over the next two years, and the Center for Motion Picture Study opened in January 1991. It marked the first time that the holdings of the Library and the Film Archive were under the same roof. The Academy launched a fundraising campaign to create a $15 million endowment to support the facility.
In May 2002, the Center was renamed the Fairbanks Center for Motion Picture Study in honor of the first president of the Academy, Douglas Fairbanks, Sr.
As holdings continued to grow and operations to expand, both the Library and the Academy Film Archive needed more space. In July 2002, the Film Archive moved to new quarters at 1313 Vine Street in Hollywood, and the Library expanded into the vacated space.