Preparator, Exhibitions and Collections
Academy Museum (Part-Time)
Reporting to the Director of Exhibitions and supervised by the Chief Preparator, this position will work as a shared member of the Exhibitions and Collections departments as an Art Handler/Installer. Primary focus will be on preparation and installation of exhibition galleries, preparing and packing art loans and assisting with collections handling. Work will include moving/packing/unpacking and installing works of art for display or storage. Will implement art handling, storage, and installation strategies with equal consideration for conservation, aesthetics, safety, and stability issues.
- Install artwork and exhibition material as directed by supervisors, curators, or exhibit design drawings.
- Move works of art between storage, exhibition, photography, shipping, and other department areas employing methods from hand-carry to specialized mechanical means, depending on size, weight and condition.
- Perform object handling and related activities including cleaning, repairing, assembling objects or architectural elements under the supervision of a conservator and/or registrar.
- Hang, level, and secure paintings, prints, drawings and photographs. Position, mount and secure large and small sculptures.
- Assist with framing, packing, and unpacking of works of art for transport using established methods and materials.
- Work with both temporary and special exhibitions to install and secure wall panels, platforms, display cases, pedestals, labels and signs.
- Construct and upholster case interior components.
- Assist with the maintenance of art storage spaces; vacuum and dust art storage room and furniture; add or replace materials, as needed, to protect or support works while in storage.
- Assemble prefabricated cardboard trays and other module packing systems for warehousing artwork.
- Place modularized, packaged artwork onto various shelving and rack storage systems.
- Perform duties as requested and/or required and according to a schedule that might rotate or change to accommodate work demands or staffing variations.
Education and Experience:
- Five years of related work experience and a related degree in the art field.
- Preferred: B.F.A or B.A; experience with exhibit lighting; prior experience working with object and/or painting conservators; previous experience utilizing workflow ergonomics and safety practices; previous experience in framing/mounting artwork and knowledge of framing practices.
Additional Education and Experience:
- Prior experience installing works of art in a museum or institutional setting.
- Prior experience moving and handling fragile, heavy works of art with great care and delicacy.
- Experience with museum-level art handling practices; knowledge of archival materials and museum/gallery warehousing best practices.
- Prior experience using a variety of hand tools with extreme accuracy.
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining a high level of attention to accuracy and detail; demonstrated ability to work without close supervision and to communicate problems clearly to supervisor.
- Demonstrated experience working successfully in an active team environment, performing rotating tasks while exercising discretion and sound independent judgment.
- Prior experience or willingness to be trained on and utilize OSHA approved safety equipment such as respirators and protective clothing.
- Preferred: Some experience with A/V equipment, interactive displays, and digital technology.
Please e-mail a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate Preparator in the subject line.