Position Posted July 1, 2014
Reporting to the Registrar, this position will be essential in assisting with the safe handling and care of permanent collection and loan material and related information management. The ideal candidate must be highly organized, efficient, able to multi task, and possess excellent attention to detail.
- Assisting with development and maintenance of record-keeping systems and procedures that promote identification and management of Museum collections.
- Assisting with generating new records and maintaining and updating information in existing records in the collections management database and with physical files. Additionally assisting with processing new acquisitions, transfers and deaccessions.
- Assisting with relocating collections at various Museum storage sites.
- Assisting with loan registration and logistics including condition reporting, packing, shipping and insurance for loans related to both Museum and Library.
- Assisting with supervision of movement of Museum collection and loan objects, both internal and external including: installation, deinstallation, transport, unpacking and packing of crates. Acting as courier of collection objects when necessary. Assisting with documentation of location changes in collections management database.
- Assisting with collections management tasks as necessary such as determining appropriate housing, physical numbering, monitoring environmental control and pest management, coordinating with a conservator when appropriate.
- Working with staff to facilitate other collection-related activities, including exhibit preparation, educational programs and Museum development.
- Liaising with a range of stakeholders, including other AMPAS staff, members of site-partner organizations, staff at other institutions, and members of the public.
- Order and maintain stock of archival supplies for the Museum.
- Performing inventories of Museum collections.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate is required to have a Bachelor's degree in museum studies or a related subject plus two years of museum registration experience required. Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Familiarity with standard museum registration and collections management policies and procedure is essential.
- Experience and competence with collections management databases is essential.
- Candidate should be knowledgeable and experienced with best handling practice for museum artifacts and preventative care.
- Candidate should also be familiar with storing, moving and packing museum artifacts to museum standards.
- Must be able to sit, walk, stand, climb stairs and ladders, and lift or push objects up to 30 pounds.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to Jobs@Oscars.org. Please indicate Assistant Registrar in the subject line.